Frontpoint, Vivint, Brinks – Protecting You From Home FireBy - 08/31/2018
A home fire is devastating. Within minutes, thousands of dollars worth of property can be destroyed. So what causes home fires?
- Cooking Equipment:– Cooking = fire and heat, two obvious dangers. It only takes seconds for an overheated pot or a splash of grease to start a fire. Prevent this from happening by staying in the kitchen while cooking.
- Heating Equipment: You should have your furnace inspected by a professional every year to reduce the risk of fire.
- Faulty Wires: Overloaded outlets, frayed wires, wires running under heavy furniture, and overused extension cords are all dangers.
- Careless Smoking: A cigarette butt can smolder for hours. Make sure to extinguish your cigarette after smoking. Also, make your bedroom a smoke free zone. As much as possible, smoke outside.
- Lit Candles: Whether it’s for a romantic dinner or just for fun, don’t forget to blow out your candles. Also keep lit candles away from children, pets, and combustible materials.
- Flammable Liquid: Fuel, solvents, cleaning agents, and paints are flammable. They can ignite or explode when stored improperly. Keep them stored in a cool, ventilated place.
- Children Playing with Fire: We’re all familiar with the “keep out of children’s reach” sign on matchboxes. I think you know why it’s there.
No matter how careful you are, you can’t totally guarantee that a fire won’t occur. There are many other things that can start a fire, which is why you need added protection.
Monitoring For Home Fires
Lucky for us, most home security companies offer fire protection via their monitoring services. Below we will compare what is offered by three different home security companies including Frontpoint, Vivint, and Brinks.
Frontpoint Fire Monitoring
Frontpoint offers high-quality equipment backed by exceptional service. They put high value not just on your property but also on your life, which is why they provide protection from burglaries, intrusions, carbon monoxide, floods, and fire with ALL packages – even the entry-level ones.
With Frontpoint, fire protection is offered through monitored smoke and heat sensors. Unlike the usual smoke sensor, Frontpoint’s smoke and heat sensor can also detect when a room’s temperature is experiencing a rapid change.
When an alarm is detected, a signal is sent to the monitoring center through the control panel. The control panel sends varying signals depending on what sensor was triggered and what that sensor is communicating. This way, the monitoring center can immediately identify a fire alarm and send firefighters to your home.
With a few product exceptions, Frontpoint’s equipment is 100% wireless. No need for drilling or complicated wire-wrangling. The equipment also relies on a cellular signal. So even if a fire damages your telephone line, your control panel will still send an alarm. What if your control panel is damaged? With the right package, you can take advantage of Smash-Proof technology to make sure you are protected even if your control panel is destroyed.
To have Frontpoint protect your home from fire and security risks, you’ll need to sign up for one of their monitoring plans. Monitoring starts at $34.99 a month.
Brinks Fire Monitoring
Brinks is an inexpensive option for home security. Their fire alarm product, the Crystal smoke detector, is made by GE.
The Crystal photoelectric smoke detector is wireless, so installation is easy. Photoelectric smoke detectors are excellent at detecting smoldering fire and smokey fires. However, we recommend smoke alarms that have both ionization and photoelectric properties.
Brink’s monitoring centers monitor 24/7 for all events including fire. Just like Frontpoint, a unique signal is sent when there is fire so the monitoring center immediately knows that firefighters are needed. Also, you can have the same Crash and Smash protection technology offered by Alarm.com if you sign up for the right package.
Brink’s monitoring plans start at $39.00 for monitoring, smartphone control, home automation, and access to ASAPer, a mobile app platform that lets you clear false alarms instantly and chat with your family.
Vivint Fire Monitoring
Vivint is a home automation driven company.
Vivint’s smoke detector works just like Frontpoint’s – it detects smoke and drastic temperature changes. It is wireless and monitored 24/7 by Vivint’s monitoring center. Their monitoring center is responsible for sending help to your home if needed.
What Company Offers The Best Fire Protection?
It may be hard to choose as all three companies offer similar features. However, equipment is just one part of the equation. The most important part is that these companies do offer fire monitoring so when you choose, you will need to look beyond fire at other factors like quality of service.
When it comes to service, Frontpoint is my top choice. In terms of customer satisfaction, they hold an A+ BBB rating, and they are an Angie’s List Super Service Award winner seven years running. However, Brinks is a close second. Vivint is not recommended.
If you already have a professionally monitored home alarm system without fire protection, I suggest you contact your alarm company and inquire about their fire protection offers. Fire monitoring is as important as preventing break-ins.